Site Announcements

Our Next Meeting is Friday, April 27, 2018 at 7:30pm.

Our speaker will be Joe Cutler. Joe's talk is "Adventures from Cameroon and Gabon”

Join CAFE. You will not be disappointed!

Please remember to support our club sponsors

Is it easy to maintain a fish tank ?

Post your fish questions here!

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Is it easy to maintain a fish tank ?

Postby Kendrick » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:44 am

I am planning to buy a fish tank for growing fishes .I love fish and now I got a place for fish tank.I have no previous experience in cleaning and maintaining a fish tank .Hence I am worried of that .I need to provide a clean and clear environment for my fishes .Do you people have fish tanks at home?Can you suggest some measures that I could take in the case of a fish tank? I don't know is it would be easy or difficult.Feel free to suggest your experience and suggestions .It will be more helpful for me.
New Forum Member

Re: Is it easy to maintain a fish tank ?

Postby KevinB » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:47 pm

It’s a little hard to answer a question like this. Initially, it is hard to maintain an aquarium since most people makes a lot of mistakes when starting out. But with experience it becomes much easier. If you only buy fish that are compatible with each other, and provide them with a properly landscaped tank of an appropriate size (for the species you stock it with) then it’s not that difficult or that much work.
CAFE Member
CAFE Member

Postby paul » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:24 am

You probably want to go to your local library branch and get a recent book about basic aquarium care. Many books have a few chapters that go over the basics.
There might be some websites as well.. It is not hard, but a lot of material to type into a post.. It is not hard, the key thing is to get a gravel cleaner syphon (or something simliar) and change 10-30% of water per week.. it depends on what you are keeping and how heavy the tank is stocked. Also, do not overfeed the fish. Have proper filtration.

Postby buckeye3d » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:33 pm

I would highly recommend starting with the book The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums. It's not the end all, be all but it is a very good guide for beginners. ... +aquariums
Fish Enthusiast

Return to General Discussions