Site Announcements

Our Next Meeting is Friday, October 27, 2017 at 7:00pm.

Our speaker will be Neil Frank. Neil's talk is "Planted Aquaria for Fish Keepers”

Join CAFE. You will not be disappointed!

Please remember to support our club sponsors
http://forum.columbusfishclub.org/sponsors/6.gif

2018 dates: swap, auction, meeting info, etc

Post your fish questions here!

Moderator: Forum Moderator

2018 dates: swap, auction, meeting info, etc

Postby paul » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:21 pm

We will update this thread as more info becomes available/confirmed.

2017 holiday party (members only) .. hope to have in Jan 2018

Swap: At Sawmill Lanes. Open to the public
Free Admission
Sellers: Tables are $30 for non-members, $20 for members.
Date is Sunday Jan 21, 2018 .
If there is inclement weather, or the seller is worried about inclement weather, his table fee will be refunded, so there is no risk to register.
4825 Sawmill Rd
Columbus, OH 43235

Fall and Spring 2018 Auctions (open to the general public)
March 11, 2018
September 23rd 2018 (moved to this day so it does not conflict with CatCon)

PLEASE NOTE: WE HAVE NEW TIME AND LOCATION FOR MEETINGS IN 2018
TIME: 7:30 PM

Regular meeting dates ... Meetings are open to the general public

2/23 -- Dr. Suzanne Gray -- "Sexy Males in Muddy Water: How Cichlids Respond to Increased Turbidity in the Wild"
4/27 -- Joe Cutter
6/22 Joe Doyle with "Getting ahead in BAP"
8/24 Mike Helford -- Lake Malawi Haps
10/26 -- Jim Cumming --

2018 Summer Picnic , 2018 holiday party (members only) TBA
Last edited by paul on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.
paul
Chairman
Chairman

Re: 2018 dates: swap, auction, meeting info, etc

Postby paul » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:41 pm

Dr Gray's bio:

Dr. Suzanne Gray grew up in Nova Scotia, Canada. She developed an interest in
fish, not from fish-keeping, but from fishing, which she started as a 3-year-old.
As an undergraduate at the University of Guelph, in Ontario, Dr. Gray studied local
sticklebacks, but then had an insight: “(I) realized warm water is much more fun to
work in, so I did my PhD research on the island of Sulawesi, in Indonesia, studying
telmatherinid fishes found only on that island.” (Telmatherinids superficially
resemble tetras, but are more closely related to Rainbows.)
After receiving her PhD from Simon Fraser University, in Vancouver, Dr. Gray
traveled to Cape Maclear, on Lake Malawi, to study how cichlids that evolved in
clear water deal with the turbidity caused by increased human activity. While
doing further post-doctoral work at McGill University, in Montreal, she did similar
studies with Pseudocrenilabrus victoriae, both in the lab and in Uganda.
Since 2013, Dr. Gray has worked at The Ohio State University’s school of
Environment and Natural Resources, teaching high level courses in Ichthyology
and Physiological Ecology. The graduate students in her lab are studying
environmental stress on cichlids, and how well Lake Erie Walleyes can see through
those nasty algal blooms that we hear about. During the summer, some of this
work is done at Stone Laboratory, on Gibraltar Island, in Put-InBay.
(If you’ve ever taken the Jet Express, or another ferry, to Put-In-Bay, Gibraltar
Island is on your right as you approach the docks.)
Dr. Gray’s talk will be a distillation of much of her career’s work, geared down for
us hobbyists. It’s entitled “Sexy Males in Muddy Water: How Cichlids Respond to
Increased Turbidity in the Wild”.
paul
Chairman
Chairman

Postby paul » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:42 pm

Update, Joe Doyle will be the April Speaker.

Joe Doyle's bio.

Joe Doyle with "Getting ahead in BAP"

Began my interest in keeping & breeding fish when at the age of 12 my neighbor gave me a slate bottom metal frame and lid, 29 gallon fish tank. Tropical Fish Hobbyist (TFH) magazine frequently featured betta splendens in an array of spawning setups. It wasn't long before I had 100 baby food jars each containing a baby betta. Breeding fish came natural to me. This was when I first started feeding live foods to baby fish. Put the hobby on hold to attend college, returning 18 years later when given a 29 gallon fish tank.

In 2005, joined the Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society Inc (GPASI). Began participating in the Breeders Award Program (BAP) in 2008. BAP really sparked my interest, and in 2011, turned in 33 spawns topping my competition having only 12 tanks and setting an all-time high record for the club. From an administrative perspective, I served the Pittsburgh club as president, treasurer, and currently membership secretary. Am also Web Master, managing the GPASI.ORG web site.

That being said, BAP has thus far been the most influential and driving force of my hobby. It has evolved into a consistency of looking for that next fish to spawn. I originally thought after spawning all the bread and butter fish there would be nothing left to spawn, but the opposite was true.

Most of the fish in my tanks were brought home from conventions and fish rooms and am always on the lookout for that next rare fish to spawn. Frequently, I find myself making community tanks out of multiple species because I see something I just have to have and I don't have enough room to spawn fish. It takes a long time to back out of this scenario in order to have enough room to spawn and dump fish for BAP.

In my talk, "Getting ahead in BAP", I will review how to spawn several species of difficult fish, the species I'm currently working with, discuss challenges faced, and the return of species to my bucket list of fish to successfully spawn and raise.

Discussion will include:
Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinalfish) Hippocampus Erectus (Sea Horse) Betta macrostoma (The holy grail of bettas) Loricaria sp "Atabapo, Colombia" Crying Whiptails Nothobranchius palmqvisti "Pangani, TZ 94-7" Notholebias minimus "Campo Grande CGRJ 01-12" Aspidoras cf taurus (2" Aspidoras) Garra rufa (Pedicure fish) Brachygobius doriae (Bumblebee Goby) Hemiloricaria Lanceolata Pterophyllum leopoldi and more..
paul
Chairman
Chairman

Postby paul » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:10 pm

Update: filled in the rest of the speakers.
paul
Chairman
Chairman

Return to General Discussions