Site Announcements

Our Next Meeting is Friday, October 27, 2017 at 7:00pm.

Our speaker will be Neil Frank. Neil's talk is "Planted Aquaria for Fish Keepers”

Join CAFE. You will not be disappointed!

Please remember to support our club sponsors
http://forum.columbusfishclub.org/sponsors/3.gif

Anything Anubias

Share your experiences/pictures with the plants you are keeping here.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Anything Anubias

Postby jc532 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Sharing the aroid love!

Anubias 'Pangolino'
A recently developed cultivar from Dennerle, this cultivar is a mutation of Anubias nana ´Bonsai' that maintains both it's miniature size and dense, lanceolate leaves. The tight, overlapping leaves supposedly mimic the scales of the Pangolin. Possibly the tiniest anubias I've ever seen (for scale the plastic lid is ~2.5" in diameter) and it rivals albino strains for slow growth. There's anubias slow, and then there's Pangolino slow.

jc532
Friend of CAFE

Re: Anything Anubias

Postby jc532 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:07 pm

Anubias 'Stardust'
A mutation of Anubias barteri var. nana (Yet another Asian-bred cultivar, this one from Oriental Aquariums ID WP1097), it has a stable, albino streak down the midrib of every leaf with white speckles along the lateral veins. This was really popular... yeesh, 15-20 years ago? I haven't really seen any really noteworthy specimens in years. A mature plant has leaves ~1cm wide and ~1.75cm long. Also, a slow grower; even slower than Pangolino!

jc532
Friend of CAFE

Postby jc532 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Anubias 'Marbled'
Not to be mistaken for Dennerle's Anubias 'Pinto', 'Marbled' comes in a variety of flavors. The best ones show sector variegation, basically each leaf shows distinct patches of dark green, light green, and albino. (Whereas 'Pinto' tends to have an uniform speckled pattern over the entire leaf." The downside is that new shoots may revert to a normal anubias, convert to a Pinto-like speckling, or retain the sector variegation. Bright light (>45PAR) and low N really enhances the contrast. Otherwise, a PITA plant to maintain!

jc532
Friend of CAFE

Postby jc532 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:43 pm

Anubias 'Marbled' version 2
So I mentioned before that 'Marbled' comes in many flavors. This one is a new one for me. For starters, I have no clue what species of Anubias this is. It has regular, small, nickle-sized leaves on longer petioles unlike any Anubias I've ever seen. The variegation doesn't seem to be stable either. This plant has thrown a lot of revertants (which have gotten the *snip!*) as I attempt to stabilize this pattern. A head-scratcher and a work-in-progress, although it'll make for a stunning cultivar if I can get it figured out...

jc532
Friend of CAFE

Postby paul » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:45 am

Great picts! Nice looking plants.
paul
Chairman
Chairman

Return to Plants- HAP