Site Announcements

Our Next Meeting is Friday, October 27, 2017 at 7:00pm.

Our speaker will be Neil Frank. Neil's talk is "Planted Aquaria for Fish Keepers”

Join CAFE. You will not be disappointed!

Please remember to support our club sponsors
http://forum.columbusfishclub.org/sponsors/3.gif

Everything Echinodorus

Share your experiences/pictures with the plants you are keeping here.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Everything Echinodorus

Postby jc532 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:16 pm

Any more sword lovers out there? So much rarities and cultivars that we rarely see in the US!

Pride of place goes to the bucket list plant: Echinodorus opacus 'Iguazu 2009'
An unique Echinodorus from the opacus/portoalegrensis group that is rarely seen due to (currently?) restricted export and slow growth/maturation. Normally found in wilds of South America, all 'Iguazu/Iguacu' come from a single collection in 2009 from Iguacu Falls, Brazil. Iguazu, like all opacus, has a gorgeous dark green color with pale venation and retains the round, stiff leaves when submersed. Seems to pop out 1 new leaf every 7-10 days even under heavy dosing and CO2; it definitely like it's Fe and NPK. I may try this sword in an emersed bin next summer to boost growth.

jc532
Friend of CAFE

Re: Everything Echinodorus

Postby jc532 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:35 pm

A second favorite: Echinodorus 'AFlame/Purple Knight'
Another B-side rarity, it was first cultivated in Asia from an unusually purple wild Echinodorus, and there are multiple cultivars that came from this line as others worked to develop the deep, dark purple coloration. It's known as Purple Knight in Asia, then renamed 'AFlame' when it was imported to Europe. Based on the green petioles and reddish undertones, this variant is probably the xbarthii hybrid. (There's an Asian variant with purple petioles that I'd love to get my hands on...) Despite that, like all other AFlame/Purple Knights, it's a ridiculously slow grower compared to other swords, probably due to the crazy amount of anthocyanins it produces.

A more developed plant (slightly snail-nibbled)
jc532
Friend of CAFE

Postby jc532 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:09 pm

Echinodorus 'Hadi Red Pearl'
This one is an oddball. It's named after a Taiwanese AQ forum user (hadi) whose father has developed many unique Echinodorus cultivars that were released in 2011, including Hadi Red Pearl. (I'd love to get my mitts on his Joyo Red Star!) Rumor has it that one of the parents was an opacus/portoalegrensis. It does have unusually stiff thick leaves even when grown submersed, and it has similar growth characteristics to Echinodorus Apart, which is a E. uruguayensis x E. portoalegrensis. New leaves come in a deep shimmery red, which fades as leaves age. Pretty decent growth rate too; currently, it's in a submersed grow out bin outside and stays very compact. I'm estimating ~10" max at maturity.

jc532
Friend of CAFE

Postby jc532 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:57 pm

Echinodorus 'Red Flame'
This cultivar is more along the lines of the classical swords; it'll definitely be a centerpiece plant in an aquarium! Red Flame is an E. schlueteri x E. barthii hybrid, meaning big leaves and a bigger plant, probably maxes out around the 16" mark if not larger. Given high light and feed well, Red Flame shows blood red (brighter than it's barthii parent) with the mottling/leopard marks of its schlueteri parent. Show stopper of a sword. These guys were grown emersed outside over the summer and are still adapting to submersed conditions but you can start to see the coloration coming through on the new leaf.

jc532
Friend of CAFE

Return to Plants- HAP