Site Announcements

Our Next Meeting is Friday, October 27, 2017 at 7:00pm.

Our speaker will be Neil Frank. Neil's talk is "Planted Aquaria for Fish Keepers”

Join CAFE. You will not be disappointed!

Please remember to support our club sponsors
http://forum.columbusfishclub.org/sponsors/7.gif

Crazy Cryptocorynes

Share your experiences/pictures with the plants you are keeping here.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Crazy Cryptocorynes

Postby jc532 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:05 pm

Truly my favorite group of palladium/aquarium plants but sadly also a group greatly at risk of extinction due to habitat destruction and over-collecting in the wild. While there's little chance of repopulating their natural habitat, the hope is to keep some alive through hobbyists and to test new species for in vitro propagation (AKA tissue culture plants).

--This thread is going to take a bit of time. Let's start with some eye candy.

Cryptocoryne ferruginea 'Lundu 2017'
As C. ferruginea mature, they can develop a glittery, marmorated pattern on their leaves. Prefers mineral-rich, acidic waters. It seems to tolerate the liquid rock we call Ohio water, at least while grown emersed. Supposedly, it can also be grown submersed, which causes the pattern on the leaves to brighten even more, which is already stunning. Propagates via runner (definitely near the top of my propagation list!)

Last edited by jc532 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jc532
New Forum Member

Re: Crazy Cryptocorynes

Postby jc532 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Cryptocoryne ferruginea 'Sg Serikin'
I'm not actually sure what this ferruginea looks like at maturity. Younger plants have more of a spear-shaped leaf rather than the broad leaves above. I haven't seen this one pop a runner yet either, but it does readily produce shoots off the main rhizome, which makes for easy propagation. With a bit of manipulation, I was able to get 8 pups this summer. Time to see what a mature plant looks like and maybe try submersing 1-2. Handles Ohio tap water with no problem; potential hardwater variant.

Removing a pup from the rhizome

Growing out
jc532
New Forum Member

Postby jc532 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:28 pm

Cryptocoryne cordata var. siamensis
Speaking of submersible, hardwater crypts, C. cordata var. siamensis deserve a mention. Sometimes sold as Crypt. blassi, and just FYI, Dennerle's C. purpurea is confirmed as a misidentified blassi. These guys are highly variable; some are solid green, others are patterned, and most have a rich, red wine color on the underside. Definitely one of the bigger crypts though. Makes for great mid to background plants. Easy to grow, very hardy especially for crypts, and doesn't need CO2.

jc532
New Forum Member

Postby jc532 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:11 pm

Hmm, in no particular order, let's run through some of the crypts available through tissue culture, which allows you to get a whole lotta bang for your buck. I'll try and list the supplier and the number of plants per cup for each of these.

First off, a personal faovrite: Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Flamingo'
Basically an wendtii cultivar that produces minimal amounts of chlorophyll. Still produces *some* so there's always a chance for plants to revert back to a green-colored wendtii. Much more prone to melting if parameters change: lighting, temperature, pH, and butterfly flapping it's wings in Australia... But the ones that make it tend to be a literal flamingo pink. There is also an APC Thailand TC of this available, but their plant material is completely albino and actively tries to die. I don't know of anyone who has successfully transitioned APC Thai C. 'Flamingo' out of TC. (I've tried 3 times and my record is 4 leaves at 1" in length at 4 months. INCONCEIVABLE!)

Supplier: Dennerle
Plant per cup: ~16-18
Care: They can pretty much go straight into the tank after separating the plants. Personally, I see better survival with soft water and CO2 from the start. (After saying that, I'm now going to admit that that tank is a semi-NPT (coir, laterite, dirt) with a gravel cap and no CO2, so YMMV.)

* 1 plant was sold at CAFE Auction 2016
Last edited by jc532 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jc532
New Forum Member

Postby jc532 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:24 pm

Tissue culture continued: More uncommon variants of common crypts...

Top left: C. wendtii 'Green Gecko'
This one is a variation on the typical green wendtii; they're too small to see the patterning, but they'll develop a bright green margin with a rusty red blotch along the midrib. I should have more mature plants around somewhere... In any case, they can be treated like any regular wendtii, read fairly hardy and easy to grow crypt.

Supplier: APC Thailand
Plant per cup: >50 (yeah, you read that right. But they're on the small side ~1.5" tall)
Care: Split into 3-4 plant clumps and straight into the tank!

Top right: C. wendtii 'Kompact'
This one has a really nice color to it: a deep rich brown like dark chocolate with a green shine (kind of buce-like); I can't quite catch the color in a photo. Makes for a great contrast plant in a scape. I've heard it's not very "kompact" though and can reach >5" in a tank. Guess time will tell...
Supplier: Dennerle
Plant per cup: ~16-18
Care: Split into 3-4 plant clumps and straight into the tank!

Bottom: C. pontederiifolia - And yes, I'm up-ing my K dosing in this tank; these little piggies are getting pinholes.
Large green background crypt. Interestingly, pontes can also get a shimmery marmorated pattern on their leaves as well. These guys are a bit small, but you can see shimmer start to develop in the close up. Now imagine that at full strength on a 1 foot tall plant... :D
Supplier: APC Thailand
Palnt per cup: >30
Care: Split into single plantlets and straight into the tank.
jc532
New Forum Member

Postby jc532 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Taking a break from tissue culture crypts, let's go back to the eye candy that is the Borneo crypts.

C. striolata 'Kuching Selatan'
I have yet to see a strio I haven't loved. Their appearance is highly variable depending on substrate, PAR, dosing, but they usually have a very striking, high contrast pattern on the leaves. Also tends to develop bullation at higher PAR. Supposedly also submersible but not something I'm willing to test on my one and only plant! Hoping to get some different strios in soon...

jc532
New Forum Member

Postby jc532 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:03 pm

Speaking of bullation...

C. bullosa 'Sri Aman'
If you're looking for unique textures to scape with, bullosa is a big, beautiful crypt to play with. Develops large, wide leaves with a crinkly, cratered (bullated) appearance. I haven't kept this species before and apparently I'm on the verge of not get a chance to either. Bullosa *really* did not like Ohio tap water. I've got one scraggly rhizome clinging to life. It's currently in the crypt ICU outside (ie pure rain water, oak leaves, and sunlight).

jc532
New Forum Member

Postby jc532 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Keeping with the bullated crypts...

Cryptocoryne minima 'Gasser'
Gasser collected his crypts from Sumatra, and plants sourced from him are different from the more common C. minima that was regularly imported into Europe in the 1960's. Those plants were collected in Malaysia and have a red inflorescence, while Gasser's crypt from Sumatra has a bright lime-yellow inflorescence. This plant was sold as 'Gasser' although only time and a spathe will tell (maybe when it gets bigger). Supposedly the Malay plants are hardier and do better in an aquarium than the Sumatra plant, which likes much more acidic conditions. I don't think I'm going to sink this one or I'll at least wait until it gets much bigger. Currently in a peat mixture and doing well at 5 leaves. I may need to up the light, the bullation isn't as strong as it is in the original photo.

jc532
New Forum Member

Return to Plants- HAP